Investing in an annuity is a great retirement solution for those who are interested in a guaranteed monthly income and aren’t looking for a high-risk, high-reward type of retirement strategy. Usually, individuals under the age of 40 and those who are nearing their retirement date are the ones who opt into annuity rate plans, and there are a variety of factors that play into how much guaranteed income you’ll receive monthly. But how do you find the best annuity rates in Chicago?
Our retirement planners at Income For Life can use their expertise and financial planning knowledge to help you find the best annuity rates in Chicago, Illinois. We have years of experience helping pre-retirees and retirees find retirement solutions that best work for their everyday lifestyles, and we find that annuities work best for clients who want a retirement plan with safety nets. Schedule an appointment today to get help finding a retirement strategy best suited for you.
There are two main kinds of annuity rates: immediate annuity rates and deferred annuity rates. If you’re unsure if you should choose an immediate or deferred annuity, read our blog post below for more information on what to consider when choosing the best annuity rates for you in Chicago.
Immediate Annuity Rates
An immediate annuity is one of the two main kinds of annuities you can choose from when planning for retirement.
What is an immediate annuity?
Immediate annuities are the annuity option where you immediately start getting monthly payments from your insurance company after selecting a certain amount of your savings toward the annuity. These annuity types are certainly affected by inflation, which can make them a somewhat risky retirement solution.
When it comes to immediate annuities, you can either have a fixed monthly payment rate for the lifespan of the annuity, or you can opt for a variable monthly amount, which is ultimately based on your investments in the annuity.
When should you consider an immediate annuity?
There are a few different cases where an immediate annuity is the most beneficial option for your personal situation. If you’re unsure when investing in an immediate annuity makes sense, we’ve listed a few situations below:
- If you’re about to retire and are near the legal retirement age.
- If you’ve determined you don’t have enough savings in your retirement plan to sufficiently support your lifestyle.
- If you need a steady retirement income on top of your social security payments and other investments.
- If you’re worried about living longer than you initially saved for.
- If you don’t have any means of support (such as family members) if you were to run out of retirement savings.
- If you’re worried about your spouse receiving a steady income if you were to precede them in death.
Deferred Annuity Rates
A deferred annuity rate is the other of the two main kinds of annuities you can choose from in regards to retirement planning.
What is a deferred annuity?
Deferred annuities are for those who like to plan ahead, as this is the annuity option where you invest one or multiple sums with your insurance company before your planned retirement date. This gives your investments in the annuity the opportunity to grow, tax-deferred.
After you retire over the age of 60, the size of your annuity portfolio will determine how much your monthly payment amounts will be.
What are the three types of deferred annuities?
There are three types of deferred annuities for you to choose from for your retirement planning strategy.
- A fixed-deferred annuity. Basically, this is when your investments are placed in a low-risk asset portfolio, where they get a guaranteed annual rate of return until you retire.
- A variable-deferred annuity. This annuity is determined by stocks and bonds you invest in, usually offered by your insurance company.
- An equity-index annuity. When you opt for this type of deferred annuity, your investment will be determined by a broad stock index, such as the Dow Jones. The bright side of this annuity is that your insurance company will usually ensure you with some sort of return on investment, as they typically offer protection from worst-case scenarios such as market declines.
When should you consider a deferred annuity?
There are many different scenarios when a deferred annuity is the best annuity option for you to select. We’ve listed a few of those below:
- If you’re under 40 years old and are planning for retirement.
- If you are in a profession or life situation where you could be at risk for a lawsuit (i.e., you’re a doctor or lawyer, you have the potential for a divorce, etc.) Most states have laws implemented where annuities are protected from any claims for or against your financial assets.
- If you want to get out of a less-than-great annuity through a 1035 exchange, which gives you the ability to transfer the cash value of one insurance product to another — penalty free.
Finding the best annuity rates in Chicago might seem like a challenge, but don’t fret — it’s our job as retirement planners to find you the perfect fit.
Let’s Find You The Best Annuity Rates In Chicago
Are you currently searching for a retirement strategy that will give you some cushion and stability in regards to a guaranteed monthly payment? An annuity rate might be a great retirement solution for your wants and needs, as it allocates a certain percentage amount (usually, the higher the better) toward your income — great for predictability. As always, your annuity payments are subject to income taxes, and will ultimately depend on the type of annuity you select, how much you invest, how your investments perform and any features you add.
Our retirement planners can help you determine if an annuity is the best option for you, and if so, we can help you find the best annuity rates in Chicago. We know that when you decide to finally retire, you don’t want to ever go back to work — you want to stay retired. For additional information or to schedule an appointment with our retirement planner, call us today at (888) 228-8814 or you can fill out our online form.